Sunday, October 23, 2011

On Engines

It's surprising how difficult it can be to get good data. I want to buy the right engine for my Power Cube. It turns out that there are a lot of engines out there. I was talking to a classmate about OSE and my project, and he pointed out that the parking lot we were in probably had over a hundred different engines in it. I am not qualified select an engine on my own.

I looked at the Bill of Materials for the Power Cube and was happy to see that the engine was already selected. It was a Brigs and Stratton 28 hp engine. Model Number 49M777. I didn't have to decide which engine to use. Well, the supplier that I'll be buying from offers three 'types' of the 49M777 engine. I asked my supplier and apparently the different 'types' are interchangeable. One type has a different governor spring, one type has a different spark plug. I suppose that the third type has nothing special.

So after much hemming and hawing, I've purchased an engine and await its delivery. Pretty amazing to be able to buy an internal combustion engine from somewhere in America and have it sent strait to my door.

A technical note: I spoke with a rep at Briggs and Stratton, the engine warrantee is invalidated by shortening the engine shaft.

Briggs and Stratton: has terrible phone help; has a poor website for comparing engines or getting engine specs.

No comments:

Post a Comment